Friday, October 1, 2010

What Started my Passion...

I really should have wrote this back, I don't know, at the start of this blog, however, I didn't have the background for what I wanted to talk about. With the upcoming videos about Scientology put forth by panorama, I think there is enough information to explain my position.

When I was in university, I was studying the concept of cults for a psychology class. I came across xenutv.com, a site saying that scientology was a dangerous cult. I had previously seen advertisments and even was handed a brochure by a employee the last time I was in TO.

Watching the videos made me uneasy. I saw to what degree people would go to in defense of their faith. I continued to watch and saw some unbelievable things. You can still watch these at xenutv.com. They're really quite good.

Anyways, after the videos were done, I said to myself "Well, I gotta avoid Scientology and I gotta make sure no one I know joins." And so I did.

But that wasn't the end of it. This series of videos hit in January 2008 and after being ordered to be removed by Scientology, unleashed a varitable shitstorm from the internet. The internet isn't really a collective "hive mind" if you will, but it does act in certain predictible ways. Scientology crossed one of the lines of the internet. No censorship.



Tom Cruise's Terminology:
SP: Suppressive person, anyone who doesn't swallow the load of BS that scientology sells, but more commonly, anyone who talks bad about scientology.
KSW: Keep scientology working, a memo by LRH telling scientologists what they need to do to keep the organization running.

This formed the internet group "Anonymous". And while I never have had any offical contact with the group (if that's even possible), I did find myself pulling somewhat in the same direction, albeit my direction had broadened from one religion to all religions.

This was a catalyising event for me. This is what causes me to write blogs, research religions, read virtually any book I find on atheism and watch hours and hours of debates from Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins or from the Atheist Experience Show out of Austin Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment