Tuesday, October 12, 2010

It's a Honey of Deal!

So, I was on the way to work Wednesday morning and found this rather interesting info booklet left by the "Fellowship Tract League" of Lebanon, Ohio.

Basically it makes the following proposal...

===================================================================

THE DEAL
Heaven or Hell, which one for you?

God gives every man the following choice: "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Romans 6:23

The negative aspects of the deal:
1. The bible states that you are a sinner. Romans 3:10
2. The price of sin is to be seperated from God forever. Romans 5:12

The positive aspects of the deal:
1. Jesus Christ, the Son of God, has paid the penalty for your sin. Hebrews 9:22
2. Salvatio is a gift, and cannot be earned. Ephesians 2:8-9 and Titus 3:5)

If you will accept Jesus Christ as your Saviour, please pray this prayer or one similar to it.

Dear God, I admit I am a sinner, going to hell. I know that I cannot save myself. I repent of my sins and put my faith in the blood that you shed for me on the cross to pay for all my sins. I now accept you as my saviour and trust you to take me to heaven. Thank you for saving me. Amen.

===================================================================

Quite a deal, wouldn't you say? For the small price of saying you're a sinner, a violator, a pariah and throwing yourself upon the mercy of God, you will be granted eternal life. Not a bad trade.

But I have a question. Why would God make mankind sinners by default if he hates sin so much. It's by his decision that all men are born with this "original sin". Assuming that no man or woman can save themselves, God has directly sentenced all the people who had died before Christ to hell. How's that for a merciful God?

And how is that even fair? A baby is born into this world, not knowing anything, unable to take any action intentionally, truly innocent for lack of a better term. Yet God punishes this child for actions outside it's control and deems that baby worthy of unending torment in hell.

How asinine. How petty. How primitive. Surely not the thoughts of a just, omniscent being.

But let's evaluate the cost and benefit of this deal...
- You must admit to crimes and transgressions that you are not responsible for.
- You must attend mass every Sunday.
- You must adhere to what the church says is wrong, not what you think is.
- You must tithe your earnings to the church.
- You must try and convert people to your faith.
- You must ensure your children accept this deal.
- You may be asked to volunteer for church events.

What do you get out of this.
- Magical protection from a bad bad place that has never been shown to exist.
- And/or You get to go to heaven, a place where you'll live forever in happiness. Which has also never been shown to exist.

I don't think it's that sweet of a deal. Snake oil anyone?

What are your thoughts on this deal, or other ones like it?

No comments:

Post a Comment