Friday, August 20, 2010

Bonus - Your Daily Horoscope



For those who aren't particularly interested in Scientology, I thought I'd post a little bonus article today that I've had squirreled away. Enjoy!

This has been a long time coming. Over the past little while, I've noticed that more and more people around me have a strong belief in horoscopes. And I find this particularly infuriating. Don't get me wrong, I appreicate people having fun with horoscopes, just taking them seriously boils my buttons.

Now, I can generally be tolerant of someone's faith in God, Allah, a blue space unicorn named "Peppy the Honry Unicorn" or Shiva, but for some reason, belief in horoscopes really irritates me.

I would suppose that it's not because they're spiritual and fun or that they have secret knowledge of your life or that they claim to be able to predict the future based on how stars are or aren't situated in space. No no no. It's infuriating because is so damn STUPID.

Seriously, it's like if you have an IQ of 90 and are able to put a couple of thoughts together in your skull, you'll come across some of the problems with horoscopes. Such as...


- If they're accurate, why do different papers have different predictions. Why do they seem to be conflicted all the time.

- Why are they so hopelessly general? What use is a messsage of "You'll wake up, eat, and poop today. Not in that order however." I'm still wondering how I managed to poop, eat and then wake up last Tuesday. The aftertaste was horrible.

- The stars have shifted. Over time, as the earth spins, where the sun passes over a constellation has changed. It's fully one sign to the left now. So people born as Aries are probably now Taurus. Does this seem to matter for the horoscope people? Nope.

But you know what the worst part is? It's politically incorrect to call people on their stupidity. If someone walks up to me and says "I had a good horoscope today. I'm going to have a pleasant surprise at work!". I want to say "Here's a surprise, you're a moron!". However, due to social stigma, I'd have to say "Wow, that's so new age of you. Although I don't believe in them".

How have we sunk so low that we can't call idiots for what they are. Idiots.

No comments:

Post a Comment